Monday 9 December 2013

Leicester pensioner shocked at 86% rise in British Gas bill http://www.energy-broker.co.uk/leicester-pensioner-shocked-at-86-rise-in-british-gas-bill/



A pensioner shocked at being told her gas bill is about to go up by 86 per cent has had her case raised in the House of Commons.

Patricia Zachariah, of St Matthew’s, Leicester, was horrified to receive a letter from British Gas informing her of the increase.


“I couldn’t believe it,” said the 67-year-old widow.


“In the letter they were telling me how I was going to be better off and my bills were going to be simpler.


“But when I looked closer it turns out I will have to pay an extra 86 per cent, at least.”


Mrs Zachariah turned to Leicester South MP Jon Ashworth for help.


He raised the matter in Parliament during the debate on Chancellor George Osborne’s Autumn statement.


Mr Ashworth said: “To have her energy bills increase by 86 per cent seems deeply unfair, and I don’t know anyone who could afford to have their gas bill nearly double like that. Quite rightly, she was outraged by this increase and she contacted my office to see how I could help.”


When she contacted British Gas to complain, Mrs Zachariah was told the increase was the result of energy watchdog Ofgem’s Retail Market Review.


Leonie Edwards, of British Gas, said, “British Gas has introduced a single standing charge for gas and electricity, set at 26p per day across all tariffs.



via Leicester pensioner shocked at 86% rise in British Gas bill | Leicester Mercury.



Leicester pensioner shocked at 86% rise in British Gas bill

No comments:

Post a Comment